Company’s parents affinity group shares their favorite resources for keeping kids engaged
Company. Mar 20, 2020
As schools are closed and parents are balancing working from home with keeping their children safe, busy, and occupied, our Parents at Company affinity group is here to share helpful resources. To start, here are some helpful tips for how to structure the day when you’re at home with your kids.
Talking to your kids about coronavirus
- Child Mind Institute provides advice for talking to your kids about the coronavirus.
- NPR’s comic for kids can help them understand the coronavirus.
Crowd-sourced resource guides
- A post with tons of free online resources for children of all ages.
- Are you looking for fun hands-on kindergarten activities? This list has 25+ play-filled activities for kindergarteners to do at home.
- An extremely comprehensive shared resource with activities ranging from art classes to online learning to games.
- Entertaining young children during school closures.
- Yoga videos for kids.
- 50 easy science experiments for kids.
- Here’s a comprehensive list of education companies offering free subscriptions due to school closings.
- TED-Ed provides free, beautifully animated lessons across subjects for students and teachers around the world. All mostly under 6-minutes.
- New York Historical Society offers a 9-week live curriculum for school age children K-12.
- American Folk Art Museum educator tools.
- Anti-oppression homeschool resources.
Daily live event schedule (all times EST):
- 10:00am: Help get your kid’s energy out with these family-friendly workouts.
- 11:30am: Free weekly Facebook Live Jolly Pops sessions with singing, music, and puppet fun.
- 12:00pm: Pete the Cat, live on Instagram!
- 1:00pm: Brooklyn artist Mo Willems is leading a free online drawing session every day.
- 2:00pm: Award-winning children’s book author and illustrator Oliver Jeffers, a past Company speaker, will be reading his books on Instagram Live every day at 2PM: just head to his page. Can’t make the 2pm? He’s posting all of the past readings on his website.
- 3:00pm: The Cincinnati Zoo wants to help make your children’s hiatus from school fun and educational. They will host a Home Safari Facebook Live each weekday at 3PM to highlight one of their amazing animals and suggest an activity you can do from home. Yesterday, we saw the inside of a hippo’s mouth!
Please share your best educational resources by tagging us @Company on social media. We’ll continue to update this list!